Clarification: Talking The Talk is not Safe SchoolsAug 26, 2021
Originally posted 14/08/2017
This blog is to clarify inaccuracies regarding a video I posted recently via Vimeo as a response to a recent Anti Safe Schools video by Political Posting Mumma (PPM), which went viral. I wrongly assumed the broader community would do their research and find out for themselves about the false and ridiculous inaccuracies in the video by Political Posting Mumma (PPM). My lack of specifics left my video open to misinterpretation and creation of more lies by the group that PPM appear to be affiliated with.
Clarification of false information by Political Posting Mumma (PPM) video and affiliated website comments:
- I’m Vanessa Hamilton I am the owner and founder of Talking the Talk Sex and Health Education
- I do not represent and never have been a part of Safe Schools
- Safe Schools is an anti-bullying program
- Talking the Talk is a sexuality education service. A business teaching sexuality education and child safe standards to parents, teachers, health professionals and students
- The resources offered in the video were my own personal business resource links I have created and have nothing to do with Safe Schools. People normally need to subscribe to my site to get the password to access them - common online business practice
Safe Schools is an anti-bullying program, it's not a part of the Victorian Curriculum:
- The Safe Schools Program is available for all to view here
- More information from the Department of Education here
- Safe Schools is on Talking The Talk's recommended resource link list
Compulsory sexuality education is always taught with parental knowledge:
- The most effective sexuality education programs also take a whole-school learning approach
- Parents receive notification from schools about when, and what their children will be taught and can opt out
- I have seen this in 100% of schools I have worked with
- PPM claimed that education was slotted without parents knowing this is not that case in my experience
- In Victoria (as well as NSW and SA) it is compulsory for government schools to provide sexuality education within the Health and Physical Education domain, including assessment and reporting against the Victorian Essential Learning Standards. Parents can opt out at any time
- This means that content is taught at age appropriate levels
- Read more about sexuality education in Victoria here
Students ARE NOT taught the content that PPM claimed in her video:
Electric toothbrushes and razors:
It would be absurd to believe that an educator or teacher would teach how to use or do this. This is described in a worldwide, award winning youth sexuality education website. Read about it in my blog here.
- It would be absurd to believe that an educator or teacher would teach students how to masturbate
- I showed 4 cards of an activity set of 42 Puberty cards. The cards I showed pointed out normal human physiological sexual function which occurs at around puberty: Penis erections, wet dreams, clitoris erections, vaginal wetness.
This is not teaching someone how to masturbate.
- The other card examples: feel hungrier, grow taller, grow hair, stronger feelings, acne, etc...
- See more about the activity here
- I only use the vulva puppet from Year 9 upwards, as an interesting way to explain physical female anatomy. I wrongly assumed this would be obvious
- Older students react positively to being informed about their accurate anatomy
- Recently 250 Year 11 students could not the vulva during sexuality education. Read why I accessed a vulva puppet for learning here
Some other current false information on the website affiliated with PPM:
- "...The classroom content is so explicit, even VIMEO placed a warning on her video explaining that it ‘contains mature, or explicit, or sexually suggestive content. It may not be appropriate for all viewers'..."
- I put the 'mature' rating on my own Vimeo video. I'm in the business of protecting children, so I always put mature on my parent education videos, in order to protect children.
- The person affiliated with PPM who has uploaded my video to You Tube has not put age restrictions on the video so is exposing children to the content of the video as well as the abhorrent comments based on incorrect information.
- “ …In her response video, Vanessa has confirmed that masturbation is being taught to children as young as TEN, as part of regular sex education…”
- I referred to 4 cards of an activity set of 42 Puberty cards. The cards I showed, I pointed out normal human physiological sexual function which occurs at around puberty: Penis erections, wet dreams, clitoris erections, vaginal wetness.
This is not teaching someone how to masturbate.
See masturbation listed above for more details.
More here: Anti Safe Schools Video Response