Happy World Sexual Health Day! “Love Bonding and Intimacy”Aug 26, 2021
The image below delivers a great message; it reminds us to approach sexuality with a positive attitude. It's about pleasure, joy, responsibility and respect.
Human sexuality is not about fear, danger or discrimination. Human sexuality is about being human. There is no 'normal' but there are infinite amounts of normal variations. Human sexuality encompasses basic human rights. Human sexuality requires comprehensive and accurate education.
The World Health Organisation recommendations - key conceptual elements of sexual health (2005):
When viewed holistically and positively:
- Sexual health is about well-being, not merely the absence of disease.
- Sexual health involves respect, safety and freedom from discrimination and violence
- Sexual health depends on the fulfilment of certain human rights.
- Sexual health is relevant throughout the individual’s lifespan, not only to those in the reproductive years, but also to both the young and the elderly.
- Sexual health is expressed through diverse sexualities and forms of sexual expression.
- Sexual health is critically influenced by gender norms, roles, expectations and power dynamics.
- Sexual health needs to be understood within specific social, economic and political contexts.